Tuesday, December 9, 2008


Hey everyone, sorry it's been a while.  I've been busy adjusting to a new job and processing 1200 pictures from the cruise. I thought I'd share a few of them with you. 

I'm a fairly recent blogger, at least to blogspot, but since joining, I've found a lot of really awesome photography sites. I have no formal background in photography, but feel as thought I've learned so much from those who are gracious enough to share their tips, advice and expertise on the subject. Scott Kelby's Photoshop blog actually gave me a lot of neat tips for travel photography. One of the tips I found very interesting was this: After you've taken your "touristy" shots of whatever -- say, the Eiffel Tower in Paris or the skyscrapers in NYC -- turn 180 degrees and take pictures of whatever is behind you. I tried this several times and got some interesting shots.  Here's my favorite: 


I know composition plays a huge role in what makes a photo so-so and outstanding. I'm still learning this concept, but have found that I have a tendency to take pictures that are sort of even all around -- a balance between what's considered "white space" and the focus of the photo. I know there are probably other techniques out there, and would love to receive a few pointers or constructive criticisms. Here's a photo I think best represents what I'm talking about:
I've also learned to take pictures of anything and everything, not just the stiff posed shots.  I've learned that anything can be interesting if you shoot in an interesting way. These sunglasses, for example, are nothing special, but by adding an extra element -- me in the reflection -- adds a whole other dimension to the photo.

Adding to that, though, is that whenever you're out and about, take pictures of the culture, of the people around you when they're not looking (this helps to have a zoom lens... you wouldn't want to come off as creepy). People make such interesting facial expressions when they are unaware they're being photographed. Here are a few students coming home from school. Granted, this picture was taken from a taxi bus going 60 mph over potholes and sharp curves. If I had time to focus on what I was doing, I would have zoomed in a little more.


Also, I've learned to keep my eyes peeled for the unusual.  When we were in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, Obama signs were everywhere. We found this smaller boat with a few natives on board. When they noticed I was looking at their Obama sign, they gave me the biggest smiles and thumbs up. 

I'm currently processing the pictures, but go to www.photrade.com/Carrie for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment